In this episode, we’re speaking with Dr. Najmeh Hannanvash, DDS, MSD about treatment options for tongue and lip ties. Dr. Hannanvash is a board certified pediatric dentist who owns and operates Little Star Pediatric Dentistry in San Diego, CA. Here’s what we cover:
- Hannanvash’s background and how she got into this field
- The anatomy of ties (what they are, where they’re located, the different types, etc.)
- Info about posterior tongue ties and how they’re different from a “regular” tongue tie
- Who’s qualified to diagnose a tie and what the diagnostic criteria are
- Long-term implications of tongue/lip ties besides just feeding issues
- How a tongue/lip tie revision is performed. What a family can expect during and after the procedure.
- The pros and cons of each revision method
- What the after care is like for a revision (healing, stretches, follow up appts, etc.)
- How often the revisions are successful and what defines success
- Whether a tie always requires a revision. The factors a family should take into consideration when making the decision.
- Hannanvash’s opinion on the reasons behind the sharp increase in tongue tie diagnoses in recent years
- Suggested resources from Dr. Hannanvash:
- Kotlow’s website: www.kiddsteeth.com
- Ghaheri’s website: www.drghaheri.com
- Facebook group (international): Tongue Tie Babies Support Group
- Facebook group (California): California Tongue Tie and Lip Tie Support Group
- H’s site (info on procedure and pre/post protocol): www.littlestardentistry.com
- Families in the San Diego area can call or email Dr. H for more info: 619-630-4000 or [email protected]
If you liked this episode of the Birth Kweens Podcast, tell your friends! And go to iTunes, Stitcher, GooglePlay, and Spotify to rate/review/subscribe to the show. For more from us, visit www.BirthKweens.com to sign up for our newsletter. Follow us on Instagram @BirthKweens, join our Facebook group the Birth Kweens Podcast Community, and email us at [email protected] with your questions, suggestions and feedback. Also, be sure to click here so that you can support the show while doing your regular Amazon shopping!