In this episode we’re talking with Barbara Harper about water birth. Barbara is a former OB and neonatal nurse, a midwife, doula, childbirth educator and writer. As the founder and director of Waterbirth International, she’s become an internationally recognized expert on water birth and childbirth reform. She teaches and consults within hospitals, universities, and community groups worldwide. Here’s a brief overview of what’s covered in this episode:
- A bit about Barbara’s background and how she became a water birth practitioner
- The story of her second birth (her first home water birth) and how it impacted her career path
- The benefits of using water for labor and birth
- Barbara addresses the common concern of water birth posing an infection risk
- The safety of water birth and why hospitals and obstetricians in the US are so against it.
- An basic explanation of why babies don’t inhale water and drown when they’re born in a pool
- To contact Baraba you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or message her on Instagram @thebarbaraharper
If you liked this episode of the Birth Kweens Podcast, tell your friends! And go to iTunes, Stitcher, GooglePlay, and Spotify to rate/review/subscribe to the show. For more from us, visit www.BirthKweens.com to sign up for our newsletter. Follow us on Instagram @BirthKweens, join our Facebook group the Birth Kweens Podcast Community, and email us at email@example.com with your questions, suggestions and feedback. Also, be sure to click here so that you can support the show while doing your regular Amazon shopping!