SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!
In this episode we’re exploring the topic of informed consent in birth with midwife Ilana Stanger-Ross. Ilana is a Registered Midwife based in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada and the author of “A is for Advice (The Reassuring Kind): Wisdom for Pregnancy” (William Morrow, 2019). Originally from Brooklyn, she received a BA at Barnard College; an MA in Fiction at Temple University, where she held their University Fellowship; and a Bachelors in Midwifery from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. Here’s an overview of what’s included in this episode:
- Ilana’s background and how she transitioned from being a writer in the US to a midwife in Canada
- What informed consent/choice means and how Ilana speaks about this aspect of care with her midwifery clients
- How being empowered and supported to make decisions for yourself and your baby throughout pregnancy often results in feeling more confident in yourself once your baby has arrived
- Ensuring that clients have informed consent even when they’re overwhelmed or experiencing decision fatigue
- The nuances of practicing informed consent throughout labor and birth when most people aren’t willing or able to have long conversations
- Some tips for birth workers and birthing people to ensure that informed consent/choice is being practiced
If you liked this episode of the Birth Kweens Podcast, tell your friends! And go to iTunes, Stitcher, GooglePlay, and Spotify to rate/review/subscribe to the show. For more from us, visit www.BirthKweens.com to sign up for our newsletter. Follow us on Instagram @BirthKweens, join our Facebook group the Birth Kweens Podcast Community, and email us at [email protected] with your questions, suggestions and feedback. Also, be sure to click here so that you can support the show while doing your regular Amazon shopping!